Being presented with the opportunity to relocate to a new country is a life-changing decision! If you are wondering why you should consider making such a huge change, consider the following positive outcomes for establishing a new life abroad.
1. Adventures await! Moving to a new country means new and exciting opportunities for travel. You will find each country offers unique places to explore. There is potential to broaden your horizons with new sights and sounds while breaking out of the monotonous routine you may find yourself in at home. In any case, you will never be bored in a new country!
2. Increase your cultural knowledge. Learning more about different cultures makes you a well-rounded person. This will not only help you in your personal life, but also in your work life. Employers appreciate well-rounded employees.
3. Get to know yourself better. Getting out of your comfort zone will help you recognise and appreciate your strengths and weaknesses. You will learn quickly just what those are and, perhaps, what you need to change to better yourself.
4. Become adaptable and open-minded. When you move to a new country, almost everything will be different than what you are accustomed to. This includes driving/traffic rules, food, shopping, common behaviours and everyday interactions. You will soon find if you have a willingness to learn new things it will make the path to feeling comfortable in your new home smoother. Before you know it, you will no longer be afraid of change. The added benefit is most hiring managers believe adaptability and open-mindedness are two very positive traits to have.
5. Learn to build connections. It is likely that you will not know anyone in the new country, which makes it necessary for you to meet new people, make new friends and establish business connections – especially if you are looking for a new job! For most people, this may be the hardest part of a global relocation. However, once you successfully take this step and build a new network of connections (and in time, you will!), your confidence will grow. Having done this once, you know it will be easier if ever you need to do it again!
If you find yourself facing the decision of whether to accept a global relocation assignment or not, remember that the opportunities for personal growth are huge. You have the chance to expand your knowledge and networks while discovering new things that you may not have the chance to do if you stay where you are. Although there are also obstacles to face with a relocation, making a list of the pros and cons may open your eyes to new possibilities for your life. And with your IMPACT Group relocation coach's guidance and tools on your personal web portal, myIMPACT, you can transition to a new country with ease!
Always have the latest insights.Sign up for our newsletter